Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Doc Down Under

My friend Elly and I (and sometimes other people) have been writing an on going story for years. Basically we each have a few characters (rock stars, actors, cops, etc.) and write from their perspective. We tag each other back and forth to come up with the next plot twist. It's a fun writing exercise, but since is has no overall story arch, it's purely self indulgent. Still I have fun writing it and like to reread stuff from time to time. One summer we did a long story about our characters in Australia. Here's a sample written from the perspective of a couple of my characters.

PATEN:

"Ohhhh pretty," gasped Doc.

I followed her gaze to a new arrival hugging Chaz. "And so enters the love interest," I muttered.

"Huh?" asked Doc.

"Nothing."

Doc skipped over to get introduced and I wandered up, half listening to the conversation.

"Oh I’m taking the 4x4 and travel in convoy," said this Bunyip guy. "Give everybody some more room. And Doc you wanna keep me company for a while?"

"Sure!" said Doc a little too eagerly. "But I’m driving!" Then she took off towards the driver's side of his 4x4 before he could protest.

"I wanna drive too!" I exclaimed and ran towards the driver’s side of Chaz’s pick up before she could stop me.

In no time Doc was tearing away from the gas station and I was yelling at Chaz and Rio to get their butts into gear.


DOC:

I rolled down my window and screamed, "EAT MY DUST, PATEN!"

"Uhh Doc?" Said the tall cool glass of water in the passenger seat.

"Yes Bunny?"

"You’re on the wrong side of the road!"

"Huh? Oh right, Australia…" I swerved onto the left side of the road.


PATEN:

"What the hell is she doing?" she just pulled onto he wrong side of the road!"

"Paten." Said Chaz. "We’re the ones on the wrong side of the road."

"Huh? Oh right Australia…" I mumbled turning the wheel.


DOC:

"This is my first time driving a 4x4." I said, pressing the gas just a little harder.

"You’re doing very well."

"Uh huh, then why are your knuckles turning white from clutching the dash board?"

"No reason," he said, releasing his death grip on the dash board.

"You’re nervous." I stated.

"I am not." He said, crossing his muscular arms.

"You so are. But you have nothing to worry about. I’m an excellent driver. Oops! I almost missed my turn!" I spun violently to the left. The back fishtailed as I pulled onto a side road.

"Where are you going?" asked Bunny.

"Shortcut."

"But this is your first time here, how do you know a shortcut?"

"….Instinct."


PATEN:

"Oh shoot!" I said as I passed Doc. "If she’d bothered to signal, I would have known she was turning. Sorry I missed the turn."

"That’s not the turn," Said Chaz. "I have no idea where Doc thinks she’s going."

"Probably looking for a secluded spot where she can jump Bunyip."

"I would have thought she’d do that in public."

"As long as Bunyip is with them, they won’t get lost, right?" asked Rio.

"I don’t know," I mused, "Doc has absolutely no sense of direction. She once got lost in the shower."


DOC:

"Cause if we’re lost!" I sang, "We are lost together!" I looked over at Bunny who was wearing an amused expression. "Okay, so you don’t know Blue Rodeo. Any requests?"

"We are not going to get lost," he stated.

"I don’t know that one, but if yo hum a few bars I can fake it."

"We can’t get lost because I know this area like the back of my hand."

"Oh yeah!" I said grabbing his hand. "Describe it!"

"Long slender fingers, soft milky skin…," he cooed.

"I mean your hand, not mine!" I giggled.

"Sorry, all I could think about was yours."

My eyes met his deep blue ones and my stomach did a flip flop. Suddenly I was feeling very nervous. I let go of his hand and pretended to focus on the road.

"Uhhh Doc?"

"Yes?"

"You’re on the wrong side of the road again."

"Right…. Australia….I’ll try to keep that in mind." I swerved back onto the left side of the road. For a couple of minutes neither of us said anything. "Sooo Bunny," I said breaking the silence,

"What’s with the weird name?"

"Actually, I’ve been meaning to tell you it’s Bunyip, not Bunny."

"Well, that’s even weirder… I bet there’s a story behind it. What's it mean?"

"Brake!"

"That's an odd definition. You'd think -" I was cut off when the car lurched forward abruptly. There was a sloshing sound then we weren't moving forward anymore.

********

"Well, this is a fine mess you've gotten us into," said Bunyip.

"Me? You were the one navigating! Way to navigate us into a bog!"

"It's not really navigating if you don't listen to my directions!"

"Whatever!" I said, throwing my arms up in the arm in defeat. "Just push us out of here so we can get back on the main road."

"Oh, I'm not pushing us out. You made your bed, now lie in it."

"You actually expect me to get out and push?" I shrieked. "What kind of guy are you? Get out there and do the man work and do the woman work of steering!"

"And you're sooo good at that," said Bunyip, rolling his eyes. "You steered us right into a bog."

"Alright, my bad! I admit it! But you can't seriously expect me to wade knee deep into mud and push this monstrosity out! I am not very strong! I'm even weaker than I look! I probably couldn't even push you out of here and then you go and add on the weight of a 4x4!"

"That's your problem, not mine," he shrugged. I narrowed my eyes at him. "You know like an hour ago I kinda liked you, but now you're the last man on Earth I want to be trapped with!"

"Then get out and push!"

"ERRRRRRG!" I screamed. "I can't! I'm weak! Like a little girl!"

Bunyip stared thoughtfully through the window for a few moments. "You're right, you can't push us out," he said calmly.

"Thank you!" "Like you said, you're a weak spoiled little girl."

"I don't think I said spoiled..."

"What else could I expect from a Canuck? You come from a whole country of wimps."

"Whoa, Buddy! Why are you going there?" "

I better get out and do the man's job of pushing and you just sit here, if it's not too difficult. Never send a woman to do a man's job."

"Hey! I could push if I wanted to!"

"We both know you couldn't, it's alright. I'll do it."

"No, it's not alright! Perhaps you haven't read my t-shirt," I said, unzipping my hoody. "'Canadian girls kick ass!' Truer words were never printed on a shirt!"

"I'd love to discuss fashion with you, but someone has to get us out of the bog, and it's certainly not going to be you."

"You bet your sweet ass it's going to be me!" I kicked open the driver's door and jumped into the knee deep muddy water. Bunyip started to get out on his side, but I stopped him. "And don't you dare help me! You get behind that wheel, hit the gas when I tell you to, and look pretty while I rescue us!"

"If you say so," he said, sliding into the driver's seat.

"Just watch out for crocs!"

"Crocs?" I gulped, spinning back towards the car just in time to see the door slam in my face.


PATEN

It was well after dark when I spotted the headlights of Bunyips's 4x4. "Thank goodness!" I exclaimed, running to meet them as they pulled up. Chaz and Rio were right behind me.

"Doc, I'm so glad you're all..." I cut myself off when I saw the state my cousin was in. She jumped out of the car, making a squishing noise as she hit the ground. It looked like she was more mud than human at the moment. "Wow! I'd hate to see the other guy..."

Right then Bunyip got out, looking just as spotless as when he left. "I was right, I am hating his. What the hell happened?" I snapped, directing the question at Bunyip.

It was Doc who answered. "You guys should have been there!" she exclaimed excitedly. "I totally saved the day! I came, I saw, I pushed a 4x4 out of croc infested waters with my bare hands! And I proved once and for all, I'm the only real man around here." She gave Bunyip a playful swat and they shared a smile.

"And you actually let her push?" asked Rio.

"There was no stopping her," said Bunyip, shaking his head.

"Okay, you can all talk about me like I'm not here, while I'm showering," said Doc. "Chaz, please tell me there's some form of running water."

"Alright," giggled Chaz, "Follow me, Pink Ranger."

I waited until they were out of earshot then turned to Bunyip. "So I assume you tricked Doc into getting out and pushing."

"Me?" said Bunyip, "Never!"

"I can't believe you actually tricked my cousin into pushing a 4x4 out of croc infested waters. I don't know whether to punch you or admire you..."

"There were no crocs. I would've never let her get out if there were. And I already apologized for tricking her so don't worry about that. I actually wasn't expecting her to push for long. I was just trying to teach her a lesson and then she goes and impresses me."

"I don't know Doc that well," said Rio. "But what I do know is she's bad at learning lessons, but good at impressing people."

"You two don't know the half of it," I said. "So are we gonna eat or what?"

2 comments:

Li said...

I used to do that all the time back in high school with Nicole and Terralyn! Haha, Eryn and I are currently working on a story however ours has a plot and junk... we'll see how it goes.

Kelly Anne Morrison said...

Yeah, seems like something you and Eryn would also enjoy doing! Can I read what you guys are writing?